Tuesday, December 15, 2009

WoF:You must be a military spouse...

You must be a military spouse at Christmas time if you...keep a sense of humor!


This is only my second Christmas as a military spouse, so I don't have a whole lot of experience to fall back on. What I do know is that if I didn't have a sense of humor, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't make it through Christmas (or any other day!).


Last year The Man was in training for the first few weeks of December, he popped in for about a week or two for Christmas, then headed to Florida for the majority of January to assist with a deploying group. During the time he was gone, we had boatloads of snow. I can't tell you how many times I shoveled our driveway last year. Each time I shoveled, I thought to myself, "Next winter he's shoveling it all!"


HA HA!


The joke is on me!


The Man was deployed in March of last year...and just last week the snow season began. We had about a foot of snow fall in a handful of hours. I pulled out my trusty shovel. Actually, two trusty shovels (one is better for the heavy wet snow that fell last week, and the other is exceptional for the light, airy stuff - yeah, that's right, I know my tools!) and I got to work.


Yep. Joke's on me.


It was a similar story with the Christmas decorations, we decorated together between his schedule, and then, The Man was off to Florida and the decorations were still up. We had purchased an artificial tree that was really marked down right after Christmas. It sat in the box in our kitchen until February! I said to myself, "Next year the Christmas decorations will be put away in a reasonable time!"


....but I think we might be in the same predicament this year. The difference is that I'm smiling about it now. What's a few weeks or months!?!


Join the conversation at Wives of Faith!

9 comments:

  1. Exactly! A sense of humor is so important. I occasionally lose mine under a pile of clutter, but I usually find it again soon! Great post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another great post! I'm totally dreading a deployment during winter now that we live further north! And we don't even have a shovel yet!! OY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get your shovel girl! Do it before the snow is in the forecast...seriously. Sometimes they run out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pattie - I sometimes lose my sense of humor too (like when I was shoveling last week! haha!). My recovery time to humor was much quicker this time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are absolutely right, sense of humor is the best! ---Lyndsey www.thisgrandlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. this was so funny! A sense of humor is sooo important! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! A sense of humor is a must! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comment! And yes like you said military life is full of changes! I have definitely learned that a lot being with my military man! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I told my hubby to buy a shovel last time we were at home depot but he told me he wanted to wait til it snowed! silly man!

    ReplyDelete